How do I use Canvas Discussions as an instructor?
What It Is:
Discussions are a place for course-level asynchronous communication. By the nature of the tool, these posts are visible to all members of the course.
Why It's Awesome:
- Graded or ungraded: choose to use discussions for ungraded conversations (Q & A, help forums) or for graded discussions.
- Customizable: require students to post their work before they see peer work, choose to allow students to edit/delete their posts.
Ways to Make It More Awesome:
- More than text-based. Discussion replies are created in the Rich Content Editor, so prompts and student responses do not need to be limited to written work. Posts can submitted using podcasts, files, images, audio/video submissions, and more.
- Easy to duplicate Discussions from the three vertical dots option menu icon in Modules.
- Don't miss a thing by subscribing to individual discussions to be notified if a new post is made.
- Add a rubric for clear student expectations and easy grading.
Explore these Canvas Guides for more info:
How do I create a discussion as an instructor?
How do I subscribe to a discussion as an instructor?
Was this helpful? 0 0